Your initial assessment
Once we have received a referral, one of our clinical nurse specialists will be in touch to book either a home visit at your convenience or book you into the Integrated Palliative Medicine Clinic.
If a home visit is booked, you will be visited by one of our specialist doctors and specialist nurses. We always aim to be on time, however there are occasions where emergencies arise. We will make every effort to contact you if this is the case, and we appreciate your understanding if we are running late.
The first visit will last approximately 40 minutes, and may seem like a lot is covered but this is essential for us to understand the important areas where we can help.
During this visit we generally aim to cover the following areas:
- Review of symptoms e.g. pain, nausea, psychological pain
- Review your social situation; including how you are coping at home, who your close family are, what financial support you are currently receiving
- Review of medication and allergies (an available up to date list of medications will be much appreciated)
- Yours and your loved ones’ understanding of your disease
- An opportunity to discuss the future, including what your wishes would be if your health were to deteriorate e.g. where you would like to be cared for
- Any other issues which are of concern for you
We will provide written information on our service at City Hospice, as well as our contact details for you and your loved ones.
Following the first visit, we will discuss your situation in confidence as a team and the nurse designated to provide ongoing support for you and your family will contact you the following week to arrange a follow up visit.