Upgrade to Chrome Upgrade to Firefox Upgrade to Internet Explorer Upgrade to Safari

Most people would like to remain in their own home, and with support from your family, friends, neighbours, social care and housing staff this can happen.

However if you are able to continue living independently, but your current property is no longer right for you, there are several options you can consider to find somewhere more suitable. Click an option below to find out more:

Local authorities have a responsibility to:

  • Contribute to the cost of care for people who fit their eligibility criteria and cannot afford to fund themselves
  • Arrange care for everyone who is assessed as needing it and is unable to make their own arrangements

To start the process, request a social work assessment from the Independent Living Service on 02920 234 234.

Continuing Health Care funding (CHC)

If the primary need is a health need, this need must be met by the NHS. The NHS is responsible for ensuring a person receives the care they need, whether that is accommodation or specialist care if that forms part of the overall need. If the person is in hospital you should make initial enquiries to the ward staff. If they are at home in the community, contact their district nurse team as they are responsible for co-ordinating the application for CHC (and usually ‘fast-track’ for someone who is terminally ill).

For advice, information and help: